Half-Square Triangles with Gold
This quilt started as a research project. I decided to research (and then teach) the best way to make Half-Square Triangles (HSTs). I started with stacks of 20 each light and dark batik fat-quarters. I then tested 16 methods of making HSTs. I noted the amount of time it took for each set as well as each step of each method. I looked at how many HSTs each method gave me, which ones gave me accurate results and which ones didn’t. I repeated a few of my favorites then stitched them all together to see which ones scared me as I came to them (Yes, I am an Engineer! How did you guess?). Anyway, this beautiful quilt was the result. With the top complete, I broke out the Gold thread and started quilting. Every stitch was with the Kreinik Gold (Metallized Gimp), Basting, Stitch-in-the-Ditch and the final pretty stuff. The thread never broke! One of the things I am very proud of on this quilt is the final quilting was all done on the diagonal!
- Quilt Name: Half-Square Triangles with Gold
- Piecing Pattern: Half Square Triangles in alternating Light and Dark
- Pieced by: Mech Watne
- Border/Quilting Patterns: “DD_A_Half_Tri” Half of Daisy Dance Triangle A
- Border Pattern Artist: Anne Bright
- Quilted by: Mech Watne
- Thread: Kreinik Gold Metallized Gimp I must have that thread!